When: April 19th, 2023, at 9:13 pm PT
What: Solar eclipse in Aries
Takeaway: This eclipse marks the beginning of a new chapter in our lives. It will activate our hunger, entice us to tap into our energetic reserves, and it will turn on our urge to tackle all projects at once. This is action movie stunt astro — egging us on to go big or go home. But, as eclipse protocol would dictate, it may be wise to take a deep breath (or ten) and reconsider whether or not the opportunity before us is a wise way to spend our energy.
Embracing Aries’ energy and its impact on courage, independence, and relationships
For over a year, we’ve experienced eclipses in the signs Taurus and Scorpio. The final Scorpio eclipse in this existing series will take place on May 5th, and the final Taurus eclipse will occur on October 28th, 2023. The eclipse in Aries on April 19th, however, is the first teaser of a series that will unfold over the next two years.
In this new cycle, all the Aries eclipses will occur near the North Node of the Moon — a point in space that represents hunger and increase. That means we will notice a surge of the cardinal fire sign’s qualities over this period, including more courage, independence, and cutting-edge firsts. For an example of how that could play out, we need only look to the last North Node eclipses in Aries, which occurred between 2004 and 2006. A few months before the first Aries eclipse in 2004, NASA landed their exploration rover Spirit on Mars, where it continued to roam and take photographs for the next several years. Since Mars rules Aries, this is a particularly literal manifestation of what an increase in that sign’s energy looks like.
Now, Aries’ penchant for blazing trails has a few downsides too. Whenever North Node eclipses happen here, we can expect more competitiveness, more impatience, and a heightened preoccupation with ourselves. Opposite this sign, the South Node eclipses in Libra (the first of which will occur on October 14th, 2023) will remind us that we can’t forsake our personal relationships for the sake of getting ahead. Because eclipses ripple across opposing signs, they teach us about balance — and highlight the ways balance is presently askew. So while you could succeed by greed under this eclipse in Aries, the resulting victory will feel hollow and unfulfilling. Our world is a web of interconnections, after all. If there’s one lesson this cycle of eclipses wants us to understand, it’s that no one wins alone.
Ego in the spotlight: An emphasis on leadership and personal growth
The Aries eclipse on April 19th is a solar eclipse, which means the light of the Sun temporarily dims. The Sun is traditionally exalted in Aries, so it holds a place of honor in this sign. When the Aries Sun gets blotted out during this solar eclipse, it signifies a literal “fall from grace.” On the global stage, we might expect leaders to come under scrutiny around this date, or for their sway to be punctured on some level. In our own lives, it could manifest as an ego bruise, or a reminder that it’s crucial to consider other people’s needs alongside our own. The easier it is for you to win in a circle and support those coming up behind, the softer this lesson is likely to be for you.
8 ways to work with the solar eclipse in Aries
Because Aries is already an energetic fire sign and the North Node amplifies everything it touches, this particular eclipse could leave us with a case of the jitters — like we’ve downed too many shots of espresso. While we recommend that you rest as much as you can during any eclipse season, sleep could play hard to get come mid-April. Here are some tips to soothe your system and make this eclipse as easeful as possible:
- Expect the unexpected. Schedule breathing room into your calendar as a buffer against unforeseeable events.
- Refrain from making big decisions or launching major initiatives from April 19th to May 5th (aka eclipse season). Eclipse energy is volatile, so it’s best to start new projects after the turbulence has passed.
- Practice activities that release the ants in your pants. Play with your pets, go on a cleaning spree, or try a new hobby like gardening or frisbee golf. Getting your energy moving will help you metabolize the agitation this eclipse could stir to the surface.
- Support your sleep routine by avoiding screens an hour before bedtime, massaging yourself with essential oils, or drinking herbal teas like lemon balm or chamomile.
- Prioritize quality time with the people and activities that replenish your system. Say no to everything else for now.
- Listen to the Astrology of the Week Ahead podcast, as well as Your Reading in the “This Week” section of the CHANI app.
- Learn whether this eclipse is impacting your birth chart directly by checking your Transits in the CHANI app. You can also find out how your rising sign will be impacted by reading your Current Sky horoscope for the Sun in Aries.
- Work through any emotions that this eclipse pushes to the surface by utilizing the Guided Meditation, Journal Prompts, and Ritual in the “This Week” section of the CHANI app.
Read your daily horoscope:
Or download the CHANI app on IOS for daily horoscopes, meditations,
affirmations, intel on the current Moon phase and sign, and more.